POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Struggle (aka Dandelion v1) : Re: Version 2 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Version 2
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 22 Feb 2006 22:55:47
Message: <43fd3243$1@news.povray.org>
"Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> OK, here's the next draft.  Some obvious, some not so obvious
> improvements.

I missed this before now since it's png. Opened them to take a look this
time.

> - The texture for the dirt in the jar.  This is just bugging me.
> - I'm thinking of replacing the dandelion with a rose; thoughts, anyone?

Your dirt has the old POV 'crand' appearance, so maybe it should be less
uniform. Possibly a layering needed with less air in the lowest parts?
That's what occurs to me when I think of dirt in a jar. Could be as simple
as using a turbulent gradient y texture map.

> - The bricks (and mortar) show the correct bumpiness on the window-side;
> but the other sides are completely smooth.

Maybe changing the Brick_Func line to this?

Brick_Func(x,y,z)*(f_noise3d(x*0.02,y*0.02,z*0.02)/2)

That's just something I tried after putting you script together enough to
render it, might not work okay. Then again, it could. I'm an isosurface
expert by any means. Seemed to be something about the noise needing to be
added directly to that rather than subtracting. Not sure why.

> I've got a bunch of other stuff I want to do with this image

You lost the double reflection in the window that the first image had. That
really grabbed my attention because I think it adds to any realism you might
be after.

Bob H