POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Knot world WIP 2 : Re: Knot world WIP 2 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knot world WIP 2
From: Ger
Date: 21 Feb 2006 08:12:47
Message: <43fb11cf@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> A slightly less-naked knot. The stairways and platforms are generated
> algorithmically; stairs hook up to the platforms from below, with
> handrails properly linked. I spent much of the weekend perfecting my wood
> texture and bevelling all the carpentry (it makes a surprising difference,
> even from a distance!). Render time: 6+ hours.
>
> 1600x1200 version:
> http://www.infradead.org/~wmp/knotworld2_big.jpg
>
> Still to do (easy):
>  *Not completely happy with the bricks as viewed up close. Need to tweak
> overlap and bevel.
>  *Raise global lighting level slightly.
>  *Tweak the stairway / platform generators and rand() seeds to get
>  slightly
> more on show.
>
> Still to do (tricky):
>  *Doorways / windows in brickwork. I'll try to do it by leaving gaps, but
>  if
> all else fails I can always difference them out of the finished product.
>  *People. Need to find some free meshes I think. Failing that, its
>  mannekin
> time...
>  *More knots in the background!!
>
> Thoughts?

Looks very good, and I specially like the vague knot in the distance

<thinking>
Create lookout extensions to the platforms.
Randomize the "quality" of the woodwork.
Leave the knot "as is" and create living quarters clinging to the knot and
have the stairs connect to them.
Create insane constructs that people use to haul loads for one level to the
next.
</thinking>

--
Ger