POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What do you think...? : Re: What do you think...? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think...?
From: St
Date: 20 Feb 2006 12:23:41
Message: <43f9fb1d@news.povray.org>
"somebody" <x### [at] ycom> wrote in message news:43f9a6a1$1@news.povray.org...
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:43f8cf69@news.povray.org...
>
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Nice, but like others, I think the background texture is, well, not the
> greatest.

   :op   ;)  Thanks for the 'nice'.

Also, I'm not crazy about the marble texture either (POV materials
> are so overused and also are not the best).

  Yes, I picked the one closest to our actual fireplace tiles here. I've
kept them as the fireplace surround, but as you'll see I've changed the
mantle to wood. I think it gives a nice contrast.

The slant is also distracting
> for me,

  Sorted. I didn't like it too.

it would not be so bad if at least one edge of the shelf/mantle were
> visible. Finally, the transition from wall to mantle needs work. The piece
> is pretty good, but I don't like the setting too much overall. Now, if you
> placed it on a coffee table in front of the mantle and have the fire
> reflecting faintly off of it, and make it glossier and melting...

  It's funny that you said that. This image started off with a vision of an
old guy sat in an armchair in front of his open coal fire with his feet up
on a cracket and one arm and hand showing holding a freezing cold glass of
water, (so in effect, all you would see is his legs and slippers, and to the
right, his arm and hand holding the glass - kind of like this  \ //  ).
Well, I started with the mantle-piece, and then I was wondering what to put
on the mantle, so I hit the 'net and stumbled on those glass frosted
ornaments - and that was it for now, I haven't bothered with the other idea,
but may well do if time permits.

   Thanks for the suggestions.

     ~Steve~