POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Snow candle #3 (~125KB) : Re: Snow candle #3 (~125KB) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snow candle #3 (~125KB)
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 19 Feb 2006 06:10:46
Message: <43f85236@news.povray.org>
> Actually, I like the lighting the way it is.  The floor in the shadow of the
> large candle edges.  The colour of the candle light still needs some yellow
> or orange tingin to it though.

You're probably right. Adding the extra blue light makes the floor less
dark and the candle less brown, but also makes the light it casts look
less yellowish. (And the dark brown wood probably doesn't help.)

Getting the balance of warm to cold colours is proving to be a challenge...

> And to make your candle more convincing (I
> don't mind the shape or texture of the candle itself) you need a slight
> waxy hollow in the top where the flame has started to melt the wax.  (and a
> better flame).

The flame is probably the easiest part to fix. (Which is why I haven't
bothered with it yet.)

A pool of molten wax would be good, but I'm really not sure how to
achieve it. (It took me hours to figure out the equation to make a
round-topped cylinder!)

> Overall, you have a good scene composition, all you need is
> a little tweaking on the lighting, and  little  more on some of the
> texturing.  For the background texturing of the box itself, the textures
> you have been using may be fine, but you need to scale them down in size to
> give the scene better overall scale perspective.

The candle and box are supposed to be quite small...