POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Apparent AA error : Re: Apparent AA error Server Time
2 May 2024 01:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apparent AA error
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 14 Feb 2006 19:17:05
Message: <43f27301$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> The problem is that some "thread blocks" have a noticeably different
> brightness than the neighboring blocks.

Actually, this observation while appearing plausible, is not the reason.
That the problem appears at the thread blocks is due to the way POV-Ray
decides when to do supersampling (it does that for each block). It so
happens that there is a bug in computing the average of supersampled pixels
that carries on as soon as the first supersample is taken. This results in a
rather interesting chain reaction causing all remaining pixels in a block to
appear different. And the checker pattern happens to be well at exposing
that bug. That said, I am still searching for the actual cause in the source
code, but no doubt will find it eventually ;-)

	Thorsten