POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stargate WIP : Re: Stargate WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:15:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stargate WIP
From: POVMAN
Date: 13 Feb 2006 08:26:51
Message: <43f0891b@news.povray.org>
> Ok, so I'm Sci-Fi fan.  Here's a WIP of the stargate.  I still have some
> work to do on the chevrons, but I'd like to get some advice on making it
> look more "real".  I'm using layered textures, but it seems like there's
> something missing.  Maybe it's the lighting?  Any suggestions are
> appreciated.  (BTW, the water looks cool animated).
>
> Mike

My thoughts for whats they're worth.

The "Fracture" lines or cracks , need to be tightened up, thay appear to be
smudgey.  If this cracking is from aging then I think they need to be
stronger, sharper edges and a stronger-darker color.

I cent see if the top image using area_lights but is doesn't look light it.
Sticking in high definition area_light(s) is a good way of increasing  the
realism.

Another lighting tip, is to have secondary lighting . It rare that there is
a single light source in real life.  The secondary lights should be weaker
than you main source but still able to cast shadows.

It might benefit from using slightly differnt textures on the differn't
parts of the structure.  You often find that what is accurate to life, does
not actually look right in a picture.

--
POV Tips and Hints at ...