POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Cart : Re: WIP Cart Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Cart
From: Warp
Date: 12 Feb 2006 09:10:19
Message: <43ef41cb$1@news.povray.org>
m1j wrote:
>>   Why? The POV-Ray version you posted looks much better.
>
> Well I disagree with that. The rocks looks best in Povray. The cart looks
> best in XSI. Each program has its strengths and weakness. As an artist I
> must look objectively rather than be bound by a prejudice. I am attempting
> to equalize these quality differences to be able to create the best image
> out of either program.

   I don't understand you. My opinion was in no way affected by
prejudice.

   The lighting in the XSI version looks very harsh and cold. The
contrast is very high, in a negative way. The lighting makes the
wood texture look dull and artificial. Shadows are too dark and
highlights are too bright and washed-out. The details of the wood
texture are diminished.

   On the other hand, the lighting in the POV-Ray version looks
great. It has some very nice warmth to it. It makes the wood
texture look very vivid and lively. The difference between shadow
and light is nice and smooth. The details of the wood texture are
nicely enhanced. It gives a quite realisting as well as a very
artistic feeling to it, like those incredible nature photographs
you see sometimes in the internet, where the colors are very vivid
and warm.

   To me the POV-Ray version looks a lot better.