POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Cart : Re: WIP Cart Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Cart
From: Jim Charter
Date: 10 Feb 2006 16:10:09
Message: <43ed0131$1@news.povray.org>
m1j wrote:
> I built this cart in XSI but decided to see what POVRay would do with it. I
> had to change the road look because of differences in texturing systems and
> the fact that part of my textures in XSI are not tillable. I had to fix
> that for POVRay which I will use in XSI as well.
>
> I still need to do a lot of work on lighting. POVRay is clearly slower so it
> is taking me more time to tweak the radiosity and light values. In this
> rendering I have radiosity too bright. My am is to match the output of
> MentalRay as close as possible. The cart still needs sides and something to
> be pulling it. And some cargo. Hay probably.

Interesting too see the systems side by side but the results can be
nothing more than anectodal without more control I would think.

The interesting thing here is whether you are focused on the cart or the
  setting.  In the XSI version the texures on the cart stand out better
and the color seems more apropriate, but the sense of lighting on the
ground looks utterly crude and synthetic when compared to the delicate
light at play in the POV render.  But lighting and texturing, especially
finish, work very, very closely with one another, at least in POV they
do.  I assume that is probably also true in other programs but I don't
know for sure.  But there would be little way to standardize the
settings between the two programs, would there be?  Never-the-less an
interesting study in so far, as you mentioned, that it establishes that
POV-Ray, a free program, gives up little to a professional program.