POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another ruddy knot : Re: Yet another ruddy knot Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another ruddy knot
From: Florian Brucker
Date: 10 Feb 2006 08:40:02
Message: <43ec97b2@news.povray.org>
> It would be possible, but not my preferred option. I don't suppose anybody
> knows just how much memory a mesh reference occupies?

I guess you'll find it in the sources, though creating a short test
scene should be faster:

A scene consisting of nothing but one of my JPatch models (exported as
mesh) took a peak memory of 30291988 bytes (about 28 MB). Using 10000
copies of the model instead resulted in about 55 MB of peak memory.
20000 copies cost about 82 MB, which makes about 27 MB per 10000 copies.
So a copy took about 2.7 KB additional memory, but that seems to be
quite a lot. I didn't add a transform or new texture to every copy, but
another quick test that showed that with a transform added, 20000 copies
cost 121 MB, which is significantly more.

HTH,
Florian