POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien desert--again : Re: Alien desert--again Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien desert--again
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Feb 2006 03:02:50
Message: <43ec48aa@news.povray.org>
"Afishionado" <afi### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
> A closeup of the creature. Obviously, the model was never intended to be
> rendered at this level of detail, but I wanted to show the group what it
> really looks like. You can also see why I chose to put the creature at a
> different angle in the scene. ;-) (Say "hi" to Silhouette Girl!) The
> waistband also completely falls apart from this angle. At the same time, I
> got an interesting composition with the insects at this angle completely
by
> accident!

Oh! The animal is much more alien than I thought :-) It could use some more
details indeed, but I would not change much to the basic idea. Concentrate
instead on the skin, with perhaps some wrinkles, especially at junction
legs/body?
Yes, the insects form an interesting composition. However, I prefer the
other one. In this view, they would need to show perhaps a more undulating
flight path.

> I'm kind of aiming for a Triceratops-style neck frill on the head. I can't
> really image putting ears on that thing. ;-) I think I did a decent job
> blending the isosurface and blob objects, though the neck looks just a
> little swollen from this angle. I'll fix it if I ever decide to use the
> animal from this angle. :-P
>
> To be honest, the creature was inspired by the desks in my school's math
> department. The head would be one of the chairs, and the base of the
cupola
> is the surface of the desk behind. The chairs have this little cutout in
> the middle of the back, and that area is where I put the "eyebrows" on the
> creature. From there, I just started making stuff up.

LOL That's great!

> So, I have no idea where the creature would have space for a brain of any
> size, or how on earth its neck joins with its spinal cord, but it looks
> cool. :-)

It doesn't need much brains really. It goes where it is told to go!

Thomas