POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fire and... wait, what the hell...? [100 KB] : Re: Fire and... wait, what the hell...? [100 KB] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fire and... wait, what the hell...? [100 KB]
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 9 Feb 2006 23:35:44
Message: <43ec1820@news.povray.org>
news:43ebb52f$1@news.povray.org...

> I tried making the candle flame cyan instead of yellow.
>
> It made the wood look green! :-S

Leave the candle flame orange/yellow and put a fade_distance on it, then a
blue light from above will look very nice. Warm in the center (within range
of the candle) and cool further away

> The ice did look slightly more icy though. But only slightly. I think
> maybe the ice is just too damn transparent? Or maybe I should put some
> scattering media in it or something? (I mean heck, it's only 4 hours a
> render at the moment; why not make it 4,000 hours??)

Try these...

#declare M_Ice= // might be suitable, was designed for a frozen lake
 material {
  texture {
   pigment{rgb <.9,.9,1>}
   normal {bumps 0.02 scale 0.25 turbulence .5}
   finish {specular 0.5 roughness 0.02 diffuse 0.7 ambient 0.3
    reflection { 0 , 0.15 }
    conserve_energy
   }
  }
  interior {
   ior 1.25
   fade_distance 0.002
   fade_power 2
   fade_color rgb <1,1,1>
  }
}

#declare T_Snow=
  texture {
   pigment {rgb <0.95,0.95,1>}
   finish {
    ambient 0.25
    diffuse 0.55
    reflection {0,0.2}
    specular 0.6 roughness 0.008
   }
   normal {granite 0.1 scale 0.01}
  }

> I haven't even started on the flame yet. As I see it, I need to fix the
> abysmal wood and marble textures, make the ice look more like ice, and
> somehow make my snow look like snow.

The textures in woods.inc and stones.in are quite nice, at least as
starting point

> So, basically, change the entire image, actually... >_<

As my archery coach is fond of saying Why should you be different from
everyone else? Most of my scenes go through 2-3 complete redesigns before
I'm happy.