POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity/Focal Blur experiment : Re: Radiosity/Focal Blur experiment Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity/Focal Blur experiment
From: Tek
Date: 9 Feb 2006 03:42:05
Message: <43eb005d@news.povray.org>
No, it doesn't work. The media tag in radiosity is just to tell the
radiosity on the non-media objects to sample from the media. i.e. if you
have a glowing red media next to a white wall you'll get red radiosity on
the wall, but if you have a white scattering media next to a glowing red
wall the media won't pick up any of the red.

It's a matter of the complexity of the problem. With light only coming from
light sources the media needs to trace a shadow ray for every sample point
inside the media, then numerically integrate the samples to work out how
much self-shadowing the media is doing, which in turn requires multiple
samples along the shadow ray, effectively an n^2 complex algorithm (though I
suspect the pov implementation's a little more optimal than that). Anyway,
if you wanted to do that with radiosity you'd need to do these shadow rays
in random directions at every point, and to get a smooth effect you'd need
far more samples than for an opaque object, and I'd guess that the tricks
for smoothing out radiosity on opaque objects don't work nearly as well on
media, so you could be talking about several orders of magnitude more
complexity than just switching radiosity off and using a few extra light
sources.

At least, that's how I think it works.

Still, I'm puzzled that there's no option to do it in POV. Pov's happy to
let me do any of the hundreds of other things that give me infeasibly long
render times :)

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com