POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity/Focal Blur experiment : Re: Radiosity/Focal Blur experiment Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity/Focal Blur experiment
From: Tek
Date: 8 Feb 2006 04:14:14
Message: <43e9b666@news.povray.org>
Looks nice, though small objects made of marble should show some sub-surface
scattering, which would mean using media, which then wouldn't work with
radiosity... Ah what fun :)

My suggestion: switch off radiosity and fake it with multiple light sources,
once you have it looking about the same as this make all the dice
transparent and fill them with dense scattering media with the same pattern
as the pigments they have at the moment. It'll take hours of work and you'll
get an image that is almost identical, but they will feel more like real
marble dice!

Anyway, if you can do it it's worth the effort because sub surface
scattering gives a clue to the size of the object, at the moment they look
really large. Or you could change the material they're made out of to one
that doesn't have significant sub-surface effects (I suggest metal or
glass).

Also if you use a narrower field of view and moved the camera further away
they'll look smaller... and that's gotta be easier than my first suggestion
:)

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com