POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien desert--again : Re: Alien desert--again Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien desert--again
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Feb 2006 03:34:54
Message: <43e9ad2e@news.povray.org>
"Afishionado" <afi### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Hello. :-)
>
> First off, I'd like to thank the people who took the time to comment on my
> first embarassment. :-P I needed that kick in the pants to get this far.
> ;-)
>
> Issues so far...
>
> 1. I'm not happy with the textures on the cupola-thing. I was aiming for a
> sort of leathery look for the "waistband". I tried for a sort of
> alien-looking wood on the various structures (really just a crummy wood
> texture with lots of turbulence). Now I'm thinking that maybe that's not
> what I wanted. My problem now is not so much that I don't know how to
> create what I want, as that I don't know what I want. Suggestions are
> welcome.
>
> 2. I'm not sure exactly how to place the creature. For one thing I
> remembered the numbers for the golden section wrong :-P but I'm not sure
> whether to center just the creature on the magic spot, or center the whole
> creature-cupola unit on it. I tried it the first way, then the second, and
> now I'm leaning toward centering just the creature on it. Comments?
>
> 3. What else is wrong that I don't see? :-) I'm starting to feel good
about
> this image again, which means that its time for someone to put me in my
> place. ;-)
>
> William

Congratulations!!! These are big changes, and many for a better scene.

A few thoughts that come to mind:

Now that you focus on the animal, I think that you will have to detail it
some more. The texture is alright, but the body parts look a bit
"unfinished" now (tail, trunk, ears). I like the waistband though.

I do like the mystery of those closed curtains (could you make them move a
bit with the movement of the animal and/or a slight breeze?) although I miss
now the suggestion of the person inside.

The sand is really deep, and I wonder if the animal will not get exhausted
pretty soon :-)  Make it a little less.

I believe there is a perturbing interference between the head of the animal
and the crystals behind it. Move those a bit to the left in order to "free"
the head. It might however be that a bit of fog would do the same job,
giving a sense of deepness to the scene.

Well, the sky would need a little more work indeed. Some grading effects at
least.

Don't worry to much about golden angles! Try to follow your instinct and
what appeals to you. That means a lot of experimental shifting, but it is
worthwhile. Look although carefully at ancient paintings and try to
reconstruct their proper geometry. You will be surprised!

.... and don't worry about criticisms from those newsgroup nitwits  ;-)

Thomas