POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : One trillion spheres : Re: One trillion spheres Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One trillion spheres
From: Warp
Date: 5 Feb 2006 06:02:12
Message: <43e5db34$1@news.povray.org>
IanT wrote:
> I came up with a scene that effectively contains
> a trillion (1,000,000,000,000) spheres.

   Unless you are using a 64-bit computer with dozens of gigabytes
of memory, I assume that you can't actually create that many
individual and independent spheres (ie. so that the location and
size of each sphere could be specified separately and independently
of any of the other spheres).

   If you just made a group of some millions of spheres and then
referenced it (without copying) several times, then it's possible,
of course, but you will only get copies of the group and not
individual independent spheres.

   Something similar to this can already be done in POV-Ray if you
use triangles instead of spheres.