POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien Cliff...again [~150kB] : Re: Alien Cliff...again [~150kB] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien Cliff...again [~150kB]
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 5 Feb 2006 05:29:09
Message: <43e5d375$1@news.povray.org>
> I am not sure about this, but I assume that it is the calculation of the
> lightfall and shadows of the object elements that takes all the time?

I'm sure if you search around you can find data on these NGs somewhere,
but basically the thing that typically takes most of the time in
raytracing is figuring out which object(s) a ray actually intersects.

(They recon ray intersection tests typically make up 80% of the
calculation - obviously depending on what you're drawing.)

This is probably *especially* true with isosurfaces. Gotta do a whole
adaptive sampling process for each ray intersection there. (Plus extra
calculations to find the surface normal.)

Once you have the ray intersection coordinates and the surface normal,
actually figuring out the lighting is a tiny little calculation. (Except
that if you want shadows, gotta shoot *more* rays... And if you have
area lights, gotta shoot *loads* more rays...)

This is why POV-Ray [currently] has bounding boxes, vista buffers, light
buffers, etc. It's all the try to reduce the number of ray intersection
tests...

[I understand the new beta might be using kD trees or something... not
finalised yet.]