POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Not a trefoil... : Re: Not a trefoil... Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a trefoil...
From: Merrin Cullen
Date: 3 Feb 2006 12:49:06
Message: <43e39792@news.povray.org>
Bill,

I've been following this series and I find it very intriguing. Partly due to
the math skills involved and partly due to the very imprseeive images as a
whole. I can offer no improvements, just a thought. Everytime I see one of
these images, I expect to see lamp posts lighting the walkway, especially in
your darker images.

Consider this just my 2 cents worth....I am very impressed indeed.

Tim

"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Mornin' all.
> Here's a new knot. I've spent a bit of time generalising my code so I can
> instantiate one of several different types; this is the second. It's ~2.5
> times longer than a trefoil loop, which made parsing time jump up again
> (>45 mins), so I've also changed the way the path is calculated.
>
> Instead of integrating the knot lengths on the fly, now I have a separate
> ..pov file which outputs data files of angles for equally-spaced brick
> layers and stairs. The main code simply reads these values to transform
the
> bricks and build the staircases. The advantage here is that most of the
> parse time was due to the slow length-finding necessary for spacing
> components out (over a billion tokens parsed per render!), which now only
> needs to be done once per knot type. Lighting, camera and texturing tests
> parse in a mere 12 minutes or so.
>
> Nit pick: although I thought I sorted out the misalignment of adjacent
brick
> layers, it is still visible in two places in this knot. I think this is
due
> to the high rates of change of curvature (not just high curvature) in
these
> sections... more thinking necessary!
>
> As an aside, I'm thinking of making the staircases less regular - i.e.
only

----