POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : volcano WIP4 : Re: volcano WIP4 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: volcano WIP4
From: Tek
Date: 3 Feb 2006 03:33:45
Message: <43e31569@news.povray.org>
"David El Tom" <dav### [at] t-onlinede> wrote in message
> I see a small problem by adding steam colums where the lava hits the
> water. Your smoke colum implies a wind drift coming from left-behind. So
> the steam colum would also drift to the right-front and would cover parts
> of the most interessting elements in your scene.

Good point, I hadn't noticed that but you're right. However I'm going to
keep the steam pretty subtle so I don't think it'll be a problem

>> -colours: it's all gone a bit grey in this version, I want to get some
>> black in the smoke and volcanic rocks.
>> -more colours!: that water just looks wrong IMO, should be very cloudy,
>> darker, less green, and with steam bubbling round the lava.
>
> The underwater part looks just to calm. As I renember right, there won`t
> be much bubbles as they tend to implode in the cold water (making this
> cracking noise).

Take a look at the video on this page:
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/vents/nemo/explorer/concepts/pillows.html
Definitely bubbles, but they're very small and mostly just add an uneven
cloudiness to the water except right next to the hottest bit where the
bubbles are largest (though still tiny).

> But due to the heat you get some kind of striation (Schlierenbildung ???),
> meaning the large temperature gradient causes a field of water with
> variable IOR surrounding the lava.

Well heat ripples aren't so vital, unless it's an animation. But anyway it's
a good idea I'll see how it looks if I cheat with a simple change in IOR
along a bumpy surface.

--
Tek