POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hug (Birthday Card) : Re: Hug (Birthday Card) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hug (Birthday Card)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 2 Feb 2006 13:55:33
Message: <43e255a5$1@news.povray.org>
> Very nice! The figures are simple but very expressive. It looks very much
> like some soapstone carvings I have seen. I would welcome such a card on
my
> birthday!

> I have to say that, like many radiosity images, the figures don't seem
> particlularly attached to the ground. I know this is somewhat realistic,
> though, and I don't think it detracts from this image.

I just want to clarify that there is no radiosity in this image. Instead,
roughly 250 lights are placed in a dome surrounding the figures, so light is
coming from all angles and directions. As for the shadow, the figures don't
drop much shadow as it is with such a diffuse lighting, but the dark spot is
a disc which gets transparent towards the edge. It's slightly darker than
the white background to simulate some sort of shadow, otherwise, there'd be
none really.

> Just out of curiosity, does the granite have some turbulence?

Here's the texture. Note that the figures are roughly 15 POV-units high.

  texture{
    pigment{
      granite
      color_map{