POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Triball-Robot WIP : Re: Triball-Robot WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:12:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Triball-Robot WIP
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 1 Feb 2006 06:21:35
Message: <43e099bf@news.povray.org>
> Good Shape. Love the style! Love those textures!

Thanks!

> My personal pref' would be for slightly smaller "feet".

I had thought about that too, but other perspectives made me realize that
smaller feet the robot would easily look unbalanced. So I left them as big
as they are, but covered lots of them, so that it's less obvious.

> When you animate do you generate the robot from a macro e.g.
>
> #macro myRobot ( headRotation, neckRotation,rightArmRotation,
> rightArmExtension...

So far, it's just a big set of declarations and an #include "robot.inc", but
I plan on changing that. I'm not so sure if I want to go with a single Macro
for the entire robot though. With declarations, I can use #ifdefs in the
include-file and supply defaults. So if a scene is just a close-up of the
hand, I need not worry about the other parts. Additionally, I can add
paramaters to switch off single parts, e.g. arms and base if only the head
is in view, to speed up loading/rendering of the meshes. Of course, I can do
all that in a macro as well, but if the robot is in an external file anyway,
there's no need to wrap it with a macro again.

And of course, a certain amount of stuff will be automated, e.g. the feet
roll by themselves when I supply a new position for the robot, that's why I
wrote the Rolling-Include (http://www.nolights.de/download.html#Rolling).

Regards,
Tim
--