POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Intel Core Build? : Re: Intel Core Build? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:52:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Intel Core Build?
From: Thomas A  Fine
Date: 30 Jan 2006 16:55:16
Message: <43de8b44$1@news.povray.org>
In article <kurtzlepirate-BD3B30.19324526012006@news.povray.org>,
kurtz le pirate  <kur### [at] yahoofr> wrote:
>In article <43d7fef9$1@news.povray.org>,
> fin### [at] head-cfaharvardedu (Thomas A. Fine) wrote:
>> When can we expect a build of povray for the new Intel Macs?
>have you already an intel based macintosh ?

Actually, I was thinking I'd buy one as soon as there was a native
povray.  The JIT compiler is definitely nice though.  I've been
playing around with isosurfaces quite a bit, and it makes a 1.5 GHz
iBook seem like a top-of-the-line number cruncher.

I did see someone who had a povray patch that used gcc to build and
load a library at run-time.  So there's another JIT compiler method
that's out there for other CPUs.  But it's slower to build because
of invoking gcc (not a big hit for complicated scenes), and it's
probably not as well-optimized, since I'd expect the Mac JIT compiler
to be really specific in it's optimizations.

It seems there's a lot of people who would be motivated to build an
Intel JIT compiler into the standard povray.

      tom