POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : volcano WIP : Re: volcano WIP Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: volcano WIP
From: Tek
Date: 25 Jan 2006 01:53:25
Message: <43d72065$1@news.povray.org>
> Also, something about the lava (which I associate with places like Hawaii)
> rather than ash/steam, and the light color of the water makes me think
> 'tropical' which is incongrous with the snow.

Good point. I was basing the water colour on some documentary footage I saw,
but of course that was filmed in hawaii. The lava I'm not so sure about,
surely there's no reason you can't get lava in cold climates?

I think your comments on shape and how far away it is have hit the nail on
the head, I've not really thought about the scale of the scene. I have some
fog on the mountains behind the volcano, and was going to have some steam
coming off the water in the foreground, but I think in any case I need
something giving a depth cue on the volcano itself. Incidentally, at the
moment I think the water is the ocean, and we're in a fairly cold climate,
but I might change it to a lake if the image starts going that way.

Thanks for the links, that'll save me the trouble of looking for some good
reference photos!

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com