POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB] : Re: Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Jan 2006 03:20:27
Message: <43d5e34b@news.povray.org>
"RusHHouR" <gee### [at] mailnu> schreef in bericht

> > Thomas
>

> It's great, would also like to see an even bigger one.
> Im also interested in that perfect moon... so just tell me it's an image.
>
> I never was quite happy with my moon after trying out different ideas on
> this image: http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/9701/castlevania7rw.jpg
>
> In the event that it is done in Pov.. HOW DID U DO IT!? =)

All done in POV with image_map and bump_map of the Moon, uv_mapped on a
sphere!! The recipe comes from Bill Pragnell. Here follows the transcript of
a couple of messages that will help you on your way:

====== start of transcript ========
Alien beach: 23-11-2005
Instead of using the normal sky_sphere, use a regular hollow sphere big
enough to enclose your scene. Give it the required colour gradient and a
partial transparency, ambient 1, diffuse 0. Put your moon outside the sky
sphere, and the parts in shadow will then have the same colour as the local
sky. You might need to tweak the sky transparency and colour a bit - the
colour gradient ends up being a little darker than on a regular sky_sphere.

This is exactly what I used in my ringworld scene to make the shadowed arch
areas sky-coloured. Sometimes I don't even bother using a colour gradient
on the sky - a ground fog can usually produce the desired effect (this is
of course similar to how sky gradients work in real life, too).

Very easy once you've done it a couple of times!

Bill

Moon recipe: 4-12-2005
In alien beach (Bill Pragnell, 21-11-2005) described the way to make a nice
moon in the sky.

I tried that successfully, until I tried to use radiosity too. The problem
was that light was scattered back to the dark surface of the moon.

The neat solution to that is to use also an interior_texture for the object
you use as sky sphere (which could be anything, including a vertical plane
like in the image below).

Make the side turned towards the universe (and the moon) totally dark (rgb
0) transmit doesn't matter; and the side towards the camera with the usual
texture as described by Bill. Now you can use radiosity in your scene,
without the lighting up of the shadowy part of the moon!!!

Thomas
====== end of transcript ========

So simple! and giving a great effect!

Thomas