POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB] : Re: Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Jan 2006 10:59:53
Message: <43d4fd79@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> I think it's brilliant. The landscape truly looks the scale it should be,
at
> least for this image size. It may look more model-like at larger
> resolutions. If you can preserve this intricacy in a bigger image it'll be
> amazing.
>
> I'm happy with a double star - they are, after all, at least as common as
> lone stars!
>
> I think it might benefit from a more pronounced horizon gradient though -
> either a second layer of (very thin) fog to a greater altitude, or a
> gradient pattern on the sky object.
>
> Keep it up!

Thanks, Bill! This is indeed the first stage where I begin to feel it is a
'mature' scene. It is slow work but within acceptable margins. When
necessary, I use the isosurface approximation macro to get rough bearings.

Yes, I wonder about the larger resolution too. Everything depends, I
believe, on the foreground. If that is too schematic or primitive, the scene
will not pass the test. So, more work there is needed anyway.

Horizon gradient: yes indeed. My idea is/was to have a thin cloud layer
somewhere halfway up the cliff in the background. I tried with Gilles Tran's
makecloud macro, but was not successful yet (cloud would not appear). I have
to experiment more, or try other things, or go for a second thin fog
probably. Stay tuned!

Thomas