POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB] : Re: Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Jan 2006 03:42:26
Message: <43d496f2@news.povray.org>
"Smws" <smw### [at] poboxcom> schreef in bericht

> Wow, it's really nice! The almost maroon cliffs contrast well with the
> greens and yellows of the landscape. I wish it was a bit bigger- it's hard
> to see the structure of the falling spore-things, and your baloon model is
> almost lost. Maybe it could be brighter and/or closer? Or is there some
way
> you could move it to see its shadow on the landscape? Right now, its
really
> hard to tell how far away it is, and thus give a sense of scale to the
> whole image.

Thank you indeed, Stefan!
Yes, the size is small, mainly for render time purposes. My final image will
be much larger in any case, rendering in several successive stages over a
couple of days and reassembling everything afterwards.
Yes, the balloon is closer that it looks and its shadow is somewhere outside
the left border. I shall see what I can do... It is an important feature
because I intend it to be kind of scale element.

> Anyway, I discovered a similar thing the other day with some isosurfaces I
> was playing with. Better to separate when one can!

Yep! I thought I was being smart by keeping everything in one single
function :-)  Initially, it was a kind of exercise to increase my knowledge
of isosurfaces and the handling of them. In that sense, I am very satisfied.
In parallel, I did the same exercise using iso_csg, but I have not reached
as far, but the results are promising, and you have to think a little
differently.
By the way, although not vsisble in this scene, the cliff extends much
farther away. It bends to the left and goes off to the horizon. In a later
stage, I want to build a cliff with different offsets.

Thomas