POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : brain vs. image_map : Re: brain vs. image_map Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: brain vs. image_map
From: David El Tom
Date: 22 Jan 2006 08:24:25
Message: <43d38789@news.povray.org>
thanks to all so far,

Smws wrote:
 > Well done. The wood is a nice light one, too. Did you have a scene in
mind
 > for this, or is it only a proof-of-concept?

   actually it's both, the thrill to achieve something "ab initio" and
   the need of a good floor texture for my (long term) project of an
   indoor hdr-lightprobe.

 > I especially like that you put some warps in the wood. They blend in
better
 > than most of the warps I've seen in wood textures, so good job.

   to be honest, just luck to got it in this way. 2 different black-hole
   warps per prototype texture turbulently repeated.

 > You might want to work on the pattern scaling just a bit, though.
It's not
 > common to find end grain and side grain both in most of the floors I am
 > familiar with. (Minor quibble)

   what should I say, ..., you're right ;-)

 > anyway, well done. Doesn't your brain feel limber now?
 >
 > -Sefan

   still a little dizzy ....

Thomas de Groot wrote:

> Scale the textures somewhat down too, I guess.

   yepp, .. see above.

> And.... there are two tiles which are identical!!!! or so I believe when I
> look at them... watch carefully!
>
> Thomas

   It seems, that I tricked myself trying to avoid exactly this
   behaviour. I just have to change 2 offsets and each tile will be
   really unique.

The layout of the parquet can be seen in the attached image.
So basicly what I needed was a checker pattern with 4
different tiles instead of 2 (standard checker pattern).

I wrote a small macro to achieve this:

SNIPPET START
-------------

//  Checker4Pig
//  - creates a checked pigment based on 4 different tiles
//
// usage: #declare my_pigment = pigment { Checker4Pig(.....) }
//
//
//                 ^ z
//                 |
//             +---+---+
//             |   |   |
//             | 1 | 3 |
//             |   |   |
//            -+---+---+-> x
//             |   |   |
//             | 2 | 4 |
//             |   |   |
//             +---+---+
//                 |

#macro Checker4Pig(PIG1,PIG2,PIG3,PIG4)
   #local PIG12 =
     pigment
     {
       checker
       pigment{PIG1 translate (z+x) scale <.5,1,.5>}
       pigment{PIG2 translate (-z+x) scale <.5,1,.5>}
       translate (z-x)
       scale <.5,1,.5>
     }
   #local PIG34 =
     pigment
     {
       checker
       pigment{PIG4 translate (-z-x) scale <.5,1,.5>}
       pigment{PIG3 translate (+z-x) scale <.5,1,.5>}
       translate z+x
       scale <.5,1,.5>
     }
   checker