POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB] : Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Alien Cliff - the finals [~44 kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Jan 2006 04:00:49
Message: <43d349c1@news.povray.org>
I believe my cliff scene is approaching its terminal state. Many things have
been happening since my last post on this subject, not the least one being
that I have reduced render time from 15 hours to about 3 hours (without the
plants) or 4 hours (with the plants).

["By Jove! I exclaimed, how did you achieve that, Holmes?"
 "Elementary, my dear Watson. It was just a case of mind over matter."
 (from: The Mistery of the Purloined Isosurface) ]

Well, the main secret was that I cut up the isosurface in two separate ones:
the cliff, and the landscape. And that made a whole lot of differences!
Obvious, you would say, but not for me :-)  I had to learn the hard way.
Another, slight speed imporvement, was to have the rotation of the cliff
inside the function, and not through the isosurface object.
Otherwise, I used Rune Johansen's furtex for the landscape, which gave it a
smoother aspect, and I re-modelled the floating seeds. The reddish bush-like
things were made and planted with the neat little macros of Bill Pragnell.
Thanks Bill!

So... what do you think??

Thomas

Post a reply to this message