POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien Desert : Re: Alien Desert Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien Desert
From: Jim Charter
Date: 16 Jan 2006 13:30:33
Message: <43cbe649@news.povray.org>
Afishionado wrote:
> Come on, surely someone can find *something* to nitpick. ;-)
>
> William

It is an interesting concept but the image itself is not very
interesting to look at as is.  The lowtoned saturated colors look murky
and deny us details of the landscape.  The intention is evidently to
increase the sense of the glowing enclosed saddle and shift focus to it
but there isn't enough to really hold our interest there either.

The suggestion that the setting is alien gives a lot of license to
change the look of things but like Thomas notes some of your elements
are just too unlikely.  The planet apparently has atmosphere and
vegetation yet the surface is absolutely tabletop flat and uniformly
featureless?  Not likely.  Especially since the material receives
footprints.

The whole interest in depicting an alien setting is to gives details of
its strangeness.  If it is a barren landscape dotted with curious plants
we probably want a better look at those plants.  Same with the surface.
   The usual appeal of a low raking light is that it will dramatize the
surface texture.  So the texture of the surface will play a huge role in
the picture.

I took your image, reduced its size, increased the contrast and increase
the intensity of the red channel a bit.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'aliendesert3.jpg' (86 KB)