POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cheap Imitation and Generalization : Cheap Imitation and Generalization Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  Cheap Imitation and Generalization
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 15 Jan 2006 16:25:13
Message: <43cabdb9@news.povray.org>
Looking at Bill Pragnell's wonderful trefoil knot work, I wondered if
the same ideas could be generalized to other, more complicated knots by
using splines from KnotPlot, and orienting via Spline_Trace.

The answer seems to be yes and no.  There's evidently some sort of
glitch with v3.6, when it comes to repeated (looped) calls to
Spline_Trace (see the thread in pov.general.)  The attached image was
made with v3.5.  The concern that makes it also not so simple is that
for general splines, they do not cover a fixed curve length per unit
time, so that, by using a simple "while" loop, some parts (of a
stairway, for example) will get crunched together, while other parts
will be stretched out.  I'm puzzling over a macro that will re-divide a
spline to cover curve length at a steady rate (or has this already been
done?)

Also, has anyone else noted the strange behavior of v3.6 and
Spline_Trans?  Is it a known bug? or not a bug?

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'kp_sample02.jpg' (53 KB)