POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "Tree" algorithms : Re: "Tree" algorithms Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Tree" algorithms
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 12 Jan 2006 09:58:08
Message: <43c66e80@news.povray.org>
> Is this possible?  Am I dumb to try to recreate the wheel?

Of course it's possible, others have already tried it and succeeded.
Personally, I don't think you're dumb for attempting to script something
yourself, heck, I'm doing that all the time!

I've had a go at trees myself some time ago, and found that you really need
to plan things ahead. Povray doesn't come with all kinds of nice goodies
like creation of lists or such, only with single values and arrays, and
those are even very rigid in that they only accept a single type of
information. So, creating a properly balanced tree which does look quite
realistic is some major task you set yourself to do.

You've also got to keep the overhead in mind. Rendering your tree with tons
of cones will make it a very slow render, along with high parsing times
you'll quickly get to the point where you don't get your results fast enough
to keep a steady, working progress.

But all those are just things I wanted to point out in case you didn't think
of them yourself. It's never dumb to attempt something in order to learn.
All I'm trying to say is that *maybe* you should pick something with a
better prospect. Better for the ego. :-)

Good luck,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"