POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "Tree" algorithms : Re: "Tree" algorithms Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Tree" algorithms
From: Doctor John
Date: 12 Jan 2006 09:45:17
Message: <43c66b7d$1@news.povray.org>
"Lawrence W" <lwi### [at] csicablenet> wrote in message
> Its been a while since I posted anything here, and there was only a few
> anyway.  Nonetheless, once a Pover, its hard to stay away for long.
>
> I'd like to creat my own tree macro, and to start I've got a cone shaped
> object made up of a stack of individual cones.  My goal is to create a
> tree
> with cone shaped sections that branch out from a central trunk.  I'm
> thinking this would be a recursive deal with the entire tree concept
> repeating on each branch until I hit a certail threshold.
>
> Is this possible?  Am I dumb to try to recreate the wheel?  I really want
> do this task for myself, in order to better understand the PovRay SDL.  So
> here's what I've got so far.  The cone on the right is the tree so far;
> the
> cone on the left is the reference cone for height, and the cone in the
> middle is the base unit that I started from.  Any help is extremely
> appreciated.  Thanks.

I don't want to pour pour cold water on your project, but it seems to me
that Arbaro, Pov-tree and/or Tom-tree have already beaten you to the punch
in creating organic-looking trees. However, as an exercise in refreshing
your understanding of the SDL - not a bad idea. Now if you could produce a
macro to generate isosufaces that mimic trees you be onto a real winner :-))
BTW, welcome back. I too was away for a time but its hard to say no when
POVray sidles up to you, slips its little hand into yours and says "Just
once more, for old times sake".

John
--
Run Fast