POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seeding time : Re: Seeding time Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seeding time
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Jan 2006 03:24:22
Message: <43c36f36@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> It's very nice so far. The landscape looks realistically eroded. A couple
of

Thanks Bill! I have eroded the landscape some more, following Marc's
comment.

> comments:
>
> The landscape doesn't look as big as the balloon might indicate. Fine
detail
> would help here - for example, an extra, finer pigment function in the
> isosurface (slow!), coating the land in the foreground with vegetation,
> maybe some open water? Not sure what would work best.

I have trouble to get the perspective right, i.e. the feeling of sheer size
of the landscape (that is why I introduced the balloon). That is something I
shall have to work on. I have already reduced render time somewhat by a
better use of isosurface parameters, so I can concentrate on this.
Vegetation in the foreground is certainly an option; Water, I have
considered and I may try that as well.

> I think your haze needs to have a higher altitude: the landscape looks as
> though it ends suddenly, and there's no horizon gradient effect ... maybe
> use two layers if you're happy with the foreground haze.

Absolutely! That was already on my todo list. I have been experimenting with
a height_field in the background to get a better horizon and atmospheric
perspective, but that is not yet really satisfying.

> Good to see my moon formula getting plenty of mileage!

So simple really! Now, one has to be careful not to overdo it!  :-)

> I await the next instalment... :)

Sure! Will come!

Thomas