POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seeding time : Re: Seeding time Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seeding time
From: Jim Charter
Date: 9 Jan 2006 14:33:51
Message: <43c2ba9f$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> So I worked steadily on the making of a cliff with isosurface. This is the
> last result:
> An alien planet with two suns and a big moon. Time of visit: exactly at
> annual seeding time of local vegetation.
> To get an idea of the size of the scene, look at the size of the observer in
> his balloon.
> The whole landscape is only one isosurface. Very slow to render on my old
> machine (about 15 hours, especially the foreground).
>
> As always, comments and criticisms ar welcome!!

I like the theme.  Takes me back to an epiphany I experienced once in my
early twenties.  I was working as a bartender for CN Railroad on a
cross-country train from Toronto to Windsor.  As we rattled across the
late August farm-scape of southwestern Ontario I was watching the weeds
and other vegetation along the tracks. It was late afternoon with low,
warm, sunlight hitting the ripened heads of some Queen-Anne's Lace.  At
that moment the full enormity of seed-time, and all of nature's
fecundity took possession of me.

Of cousre your alien setting also conjures thoughts of interstellar
spores and the like, or the incredible variety of life on earth.

One thing, your scene, especially with the alien planet context, seems
to allude to a notion of contrast between a barren environment and it
suddenly bursting forth with unexpected seed.  Yet the rich chocolate
brown of the cliff suggests freshly cloven and fertile soil.