POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Test Povray and Yafray. : Re: Test Povray and Yafray. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test Povray and Yafray.
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 1 Jan 2006 09:03:46
Message: <43b7e142@news.povray.org>
> Well - as you can see they are not.  The difficult part of such a
> comparison is to find which settings for both renderers are most
> similar.  This requires knowledge of both of them.

In this case for example, it would have been good to know that POV-Ray
doesn't clip the RGB-values before averaging them for antialiasing. It has
been a discussed annoyance to some, and AFAIK there is some work done in
that area for the next release (I think Warp hinted at it, but don't go bug
him because I said so!). I think 3.5 did it differently/like Yafray and
could be used for a comparison of antialiasing.

I personally haven't tried Yafray, but just looked at its capabilities some
time ago, and didn't think it would be better than POV-Ray. Tried CSG in
Yafray? Isosurfaces? What about media, is it possible in Yafray? ...

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"