POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aeolipile : Re: Aeolipile Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aeolipile
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 22 Dec 2005 04:57:56
Message: <43aa78a4@news.povray.org>
"tom" <tmi### [at] uarkedu> wrote in message
> "Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Better known as Hero Turbine ....
>
> Am I the only one who doesn't know what it is?

LOL! Well, I sorta knew of this mainly by illustrations from a few hundred
years ago showing it. Idea is for steam to be produced from a fire
underneath and make the upper part spin. Until now, after checking for info
about it, I didn't realize it was basically reinvented from such an earlier
time as 270 B.C. by someone in Egypt. Not sure why Paolo said "ancient Greek
technology", although it has apparently been duplicated since that time.

As to the good rendering shown here, I didn't expect to see the wheel on the
side because I only knew of the device as being just a scientific curiosity
when it was created. That's how it usually gets described, that it wasn't of
actual mechanical usefulness when it was first made and then the much more
recent industrial age put steam to good use.

Hopefully a helpful suggestion: the brass texture might need an environment
surrounding the model to prevent the typical suspended in space appearance.

Bob