POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamma tests : Re: Gamma tests Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:04:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma tests
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 19 Dec 2005 06:49:01
Message: <43a69e2d$1@news.povray.org>
Here's a site that might be of interest:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG/all_seven.html

I've downloaded the 5 PNG images and rendered them in POV-Ray (without the
use of my macro, I might add). The result seems to indicate that POV-Ray
doesn't perform gamma-correction of the images, as I get what the page
describes: a set of images getting darker. OTOH, I wonder why the other PNG
I derived from a BMP using Paint Shop Pro 7 gets darker. The color-banding
is described on the page as well (precision issues). I'm slightly confused
now... Does POV-Ray perform a "standard" gamma-correction on PNG, or based
on the gamma-value in the PNG, or what? Does anyone know (maybe because he
has insight in the source)?

Regards,
Tim

--