POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamma tests : Re: Gamma tests Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:11:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma tests
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 19 Dec 2005 06:34:12
Message: <43a69ab4$1@news.povray.org>
>Is it possible that your POV .png render is in a "reduced" color
> pallette? Very odd.

Nope, it's 24bit, just like the BMP.

> BTW, I couldn't duplicate your image's strange
> appearance by changing my .jpeg to a .png, not even by invoking all the
> "special" .png settings available in Photoshop. It still looked correct.

What do you mean with "special" settings? With your post in mind, I went and
checked my PNG, but somehow, I've got no paint-application (using Paint Shop
Pro 7 and XnView) to find the included gamma in my PNG. Nontheless, the
image gets gamma-corrected and I end up with banding. Though I can't find
the actual source for this problem (only guessing that its probably
calculating precision), it's reason enough not to use PNG, at least for the
moment.

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>