POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : snow ! : Re: snow ! Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:04:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: snow !
From: Jim Charter
Date: 14 Dec 2005 02:41:23
Message: <439fcca3@news.povray.org>
Xplo Eristotle wrote:
> LightBeam wrote:
>
>> Just a try with snow for a upcoming "merry-christmas-happy-new-year"
>> image... comments, suggestion about the snow are welcome !
>

> Some of these people don't know what snow looks like, I think.. the
> lighting is fine (maybe a little purplish but I won't complain). The
> little sparkles look great.
>
> Only complaint I'd make is the shape of the snow. It LOOKS fresh, but
> fresh snow is usually smoother than this, unless the surface underneath
> is seriously torn up.
>
> Granted, someone suggested that kids had played in it and then a fresh
> layer covered their tracks, and that's a plausible explanation.
>
> -Xplo
The snow could be covering many kinds of uneven surface especially grass
or clumped grass.  This snow has been exposed to a strong sun during the
afternoon such that the uppermost of the layer has melted slightly
leaving a crystaline crust.  That would also account for the slightly
sunk in look that the smaller scale lacework of bumps gives to it.