POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shaker Simple (near final) [200K] : Re: Shaker Simple (near final) [200K] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:04:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shaker Simple (near final) [200K]
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 2 Dec 2005 09:23:22
Message: <439058da$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote in message

> Yes, I like this better too. Now you might experiment with the crucifixion
> shadow on a higher level, against the wall... But maybe that would become
> explicite.

Hmmmm... Interesting thought, but I'll probably keep it where it is in this
image.  What I really didn't want to do was "beat you over the head" with
the cross/crucifix.  In fact, if the majority of viewers never noticed it,
that would be fine.  I often like putting things in my scenes so that if
someone stares at it for 5 minutes, they may eventually exclaim, "Hey!  Did
you see this?"

I _may_ create other versions, or other Shaker scenes.  I suppose it largely
depends on how long my interest holds, among other things.  I've also
thought it would be neat to produce (I don't know what it's called) a series
of 3 pictures: the large central image, with the two smaller (tall) pictures
on the side.  But I do not see this scene working well that way.  It would
likely be a new scene.

> There is an interesting  *conflict*  as it were, between the horizontal
> shelf(?) and the projection of the window. As if spirituality was breaking
> through down to earth materialism...
> The shelf thing, is that where Shakers hung their furniture in order to
> clean the floor? I have seen photographs were that was higher up the
> wall...

Last night, I looked over my Shaker books again.  Most rooms had the
peg-board at about 6 feet up the wall, and some rooms also had the lower
"dado rail" (it's a new term for me), which apparently is there to prevent
the back of the chairs (or other furniture) from banging against the wall.
As such, mine appears to be a little too high to be realistic.

I experimented with changing the height of the rail last night.  Also, the
highest point of the wall that is visible is only around 5 feet high, so the
pegboard could not be seen (if it existed).

Thank you for all of your input.  I really appreciate it.  I'm learning.
:-)