POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shaker Simple (near final) [200K] : Re: Shaker Simple (near final) [200K] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:10:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shaker Simple (near final) [200K]
From: dlm
Date: 1 Dec 2005 19:02:10
Message: <438f8f02$1@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote in message
> "dlm" <me### [at] addressinvalid> wrote in message
>>
>> The composition is quite pleasing to my eye.
>> My only issues of concern were:
>>  the way-too-yellowness of the early morning light
>>  the absence of a skirting board
>>  the height of the dado rail on the wall (higher than ladder-back top
>> makes it useless/unutilitarian)
>> To quote the Shakers - form follows function
>>

> Thank you for your response!
>
> The light may be too yellow.  I experimented with my digital camera and
> took several photos that I used for comparison.  But in this case, I was
> looking for a very yellow (almost orange) light.
Perhaps hellfire's aburning outside?

> The peg-board (if I had created one) would be much higher up, yes.  Dado
> rails at this height were very common in the 1800's.  I'll have to check
> some of my Shaker reference photo's, since I don't recall exacly why I did
> it that way.  Maybe I had no particular reason.  I think the image needs
> "something" in that space, however.

It certainly balances the composition.
And granted there are dado rails set at almost any old height in even in the
same 19th century NY country home.
e.g. http://www.maplegroveny.org/resources/03History.pdf

But would Shakers have built a rail with such a large cross-section? And
placed it at mantel height fit for an Irish pub - imagine a line of empty
beer glasses perched on that... Perhaps I was thinking of the utility of a
chair rail - to protect both wall and furniture, and 3 or 4 inches high.
There are some rather more spartan interiors to view at e.g.
http://shakermuseumandlibrary.org/ourhistory.htm

If you do stretch your format vertically perhaps the more shaker-typical peg
board would make sense.

DLM