POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Curved portal [~37 kB] : Re: Curved portal [~37 kB] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curved portal [~37 kB]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Nov 2005 09:46:50
Message: <4389c6da@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
> > Just leaving aside for now the what, why, where, how, and who... :-)
> >
> Well I sense that there is a lot more here than meets the eye.  It is a
> very powerful image as is and I sense a lot of (cerebral) potential in it.
>
> It is in one sense a variation on your "Ice Cometh" picture in that you
> use the tension of having a background scene framed and contexted by
> foreground architecture. It is also an extension of your Copernicus
> picture with it's sense of mysterious and underlaying geometries.

Yes indeed, Jim. All you say is true, and certainly not always consciously
attained. It is one of my fastest scenes (a couple of days) and I believe
that I am not going to modify very much, despite some shortcomings, as has
been stated by Roman and Tim. The deeper reason is for this isthat the scene
should be far from realistic and expressing a state of consciousness
familiar in dreams. There is something of de Chirico in it, although the
direct inspirator was a painting by Jos Janssens I saw in 1999, and of which
I had made a little sketch. It has stayed dormant for six years.

The frescos were provided by Adriano Del Fabbro with his Cloister.3ds
(1997), which can be found at the 3D Cafe. Indeed, the portal to the right
is angular as I intended it to be. Bicycle and lizzard come from the Taschen
object collection. The bicycle imposed itself on me as soon as the portal
took shape. In an otherwise empty (of human presence) environment, it
suggests somebody is there, near, and yet out of reach; familiar and yet
slightly menacing.

Thomas