POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP well scene w/radiosity : Re: WIP well scene w/radiosity Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP well scene w/radiosity
From: Rick Measham
Date: 26 Nov 2005 02:18:11
Message: <43880c33$1@news.povray.org>
Hosiah wrote:
> I've been chasing the "daylight effect" for a while now, when I tried some
> variations of the sample scenes included with POVray. And I produced this
> scene, which is the closest I've come to exterior daylight, yet. Whaddaya
> think, will I get there anytime soon?

It's looking interesting .. but you need a lot more contrast.

In order to handle sunlight, we need to close the pupils in our eyes,
this means they collect very little light, so shadow areas (such as that
under the columns) would appear to be very dark.

If you move into the shade and focus on the shadow area, collecting as
little light as possible from the surrounds, the shadow area will appear
lighter -- similar to what you have there.

Cameras need to work the same way. I'm not sure if you have any
ambience, or if it's just radiosity, but you need to make your shadows
darker.

Other suggestion: no hard edges. This is stone, so expect an open-air
scenet to quickly wear away any hard edges such as around the edge of
the 'roof' and around the portals.

Cheers!
Rick Measham