POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Australia. : Re: Australia. Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Australia.
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 15 Nov 2005 00:52:02
Message: <43797781@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook spake:

> Stefan Viljoen <spamnot@ wrote:
>> I'm impressed! NASA maps?
>
> Yup.  The new Blue Marble dataset...5400x2700 version, June.  I'd really
> like to play with the 500m/pixel set, but don't have any way of doing
> so.  Would be nice if POV 4 were able to use very large images without
> 1m/pixel dataset available hehe.

Hmm - are you rendering in Windows?

IMHO if you try Linux Pov you might have better stability and performance
when memory gets tight - in my inexperienced opinion (Christoph should know
more about this) Linux is more reliable than Windows when you start to page
lots of RAM to disk (such as when working with something that takes up all
available RAM, and more).

I have once or twice managed on my older PC's to use about 1.5 times
physical RAM in Pov when rendering - no problems, while on XP it got
incredibly slow and crashed regularly for the same .POV file... but that
was long ago on older architecture (400 MHz machine with 128MB).

Anyway! If your Windows rendering experience gets crappy when using all RAM
or close to it, try Linux.
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer