POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Linux gamma driving me nuts : Re: Linux gamma driving me nuts Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux gamma driving me nuts
From: Alain
Date: 12 Nov 2005 14:34:25
Message: <437643c1$1@news.povray.org>
povray nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-11-11 21:35:

http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/thread/%3Cweb.4373f7155849a475ed802ab30%40news.povray.org%3

>> Briefly put, Mozilla and Firefox on a Linux box, and IE via an rdesktop
>> session, display my POV-generated PNGs much more brightly than image
>> viewers and POV's own image previewer display them.
>>
>> The full rant is available in p.newusers.  I sure would appreciate your
>> advice on this one folks.

>     The gamma chunk in PNG images has given me nothing but trouble.
> Every browser, every program, seems to (over)compensate for gamma in a
> different way.  The answer is to make sure the png file has
> no gamma chunk in it.
>     Here is what I do ..
>     Render/create image to Targa (tga) file.  Open said Targa
> file in gimp.  Save as a PNG from gimp.  In the file save dialog, make
> sure that the "save gamma" box is NOT checked.  Save.  You
> have just written a png that contains no gamma.  End of problem.

If I remember corectly, if you DON'T include "assumed_gamma" then your PNG don't
include gamma
information. Correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Alain
Christian Science: When shit happens, don't call a doctor - pray!