POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Elements : Re: Elements Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elements
From: Tek
Date: 10 Nov 2005 13:09:01
Message: <43738cbd$1@news.povray.org>
news:43732846$1@news.povray.org...
> The wood doesn't seem to be on fire, despite being surrounded by it. And
> the flames don't seem to cast any light on the surrounding rocks. But
> other than that...

The lack of light is probably accurate, in fact the flames are brighter than
they should be. I have full radiosity in the scene so if you can't see
lighting from the flames it's because they're so much darker than the sun.
In fact I've actually cheated an made the flames brighter than they should
be in daylight (I looked at some photos of flames).

> Actually, that's the best CG flames I've ever seen. How did you do that?

Emissive media with a little absorption, granite pattern with some
turbulence for the density, modulated by a spherical pattern. Then a couple
of adjustments to the pattern to give a very sudden change in density from
outside the flame to inside. Then tweak all the parameters until it looks
right. The source code makes it look pretty complex but all those nested
pigment_patterns are just to control the boundary between inside and outside
the flame.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com