POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : more Ringworld : Re: more Ringworld Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more Ringworld
From: David El Tom
Date: 1 Nov 2005 18:22:35
Message: <4367f8bb$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> If the surface gravity is aroung 1G and the air pressure at ground level
> is similar to ours, then about 90% of that mountain is in vacuum! We
> have satellits orbiting at around 100 Km over our heads, about 2h period
> if I'm not mistaking.
> As a side tough, when you get close to the edges, you should have the
> impression of climbing. You get a gravitational pull toward the midplane
> of the ring. As you move away from the middle, there is more and more
> mass behind you, and less before you.

renember that "Ringworld" is a novell, so everything is possible. The
mountain called "fist of god" is a bullet hole left by an asteroid
impact which stretched the material the ring was made of. So it was
never ment to be populated, and there is no reason why the top shouldn't
be in vaccum.
The effect of gravity is negletable towards the radial acceleration if
you look up the dimensions of the ringworld. The ring itself is rather
fragile from far away and the construction is only possible due to
introduction of a new (yet unkown) super stable material.

... dave