POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : more Ringworld : Re: more Ringworld Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more Ringworld
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Nov 2005 07:42:03
Message: <4367629b@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Right, thanks to DKB's precision-tweaking, here's a more accurate
Ringworld.
> The camera is now a mere mile (about 5000ft) above the ring floor, and the
> clouds are ten miles up (still a little high, I know, but close enough).
> The view is from roughly halfway to the rim from the ring midplane, as
> evidenced by the appearance of the arch (Thomas, I agree, this angle is
> much more dramatic!).
>
> Also in the foreground (relatively speaking - it's still over 15,000 miles
> away!) is Fist-Of-God mountain, approx 1000 miles high.
>
> I'm pretty happy with this, although I might tweak the clouds a little:
the
> shiny scrith peak of the mountain is slightly obscured, and the immediate
> foreground is in shadow. Any comments or criticism welcomed!
>
> Render time: ~3 hours, mostly the mountain isosurfaces.
>
> Bill

Excellent! I certainly like this view of Fist-of-God, and the setting is
very credible, as is also the atmospheric effect you have been able to
generate.

I have been experimenting these last days with media, confined to a ring
simulating the atmosphere. The results are not really satisfying, and
becomes very difficult (and slow) when a cloud layer is added. I came to the
conclusion that, in any case, the atmospheric effect would resemble a half
sphere around the camera (like you did). Further away, it would not count.
So, I am back to start in that respect, but I learned a lesson.

Thomas