POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : turner whitted famous image reproduction : Re: turner whitted famous image reproduction Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:30:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: turner whitted famous image reproduction
From: Alain
Date: 28 Oct 2005 17:18:56
Message: <436295c0$1@news.povray.org>
Junkboy316 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-28 06:00:
> Hi.
>
> Im a real beginner and am trying to recreate this image to get into the
> swing of things. I think im getting there but have no idea how to create
> the transparent sphere. All the ones ive attempted have created an upside
> down version of the checkered floor. Any help on where to start would be
> much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

To create a transparent sphere, or any object, you need to use a filtering or
transmiting pigment.
You can add "filter <value>", "transmit <value>" or both after the pigment. You can
also include the
filter and/or transmit into the pigment deffinition like pigment{rgbf <1, 0.5, 0.2,
0.5>}//filtering
pigment{rgbt <1, 0.5, 0.2, 0.37>}//transmiting
pigment{rgbft <1, 0.5, 0.2, 0.4, 0.5>}//both filtering and transmiting

Maybe the plane is set above the camera. Try using a negative value in your plane
definition like
plane{ y, -1 pigment{checker}}
If you want your transparent sphere to look more solid, add the following:
interior{ior 1.5}
This will make it refract the background like if it was made out of glass. Without
this, it looks
more like a bubble.
You need to add phong or specular in the finish if you want highlights, you can use
both if you
want. You will get hilights from both the near and far surfaces.
You may want to add some reflection, try adding "reflection 0.3" in the finish, try
farious values.
I will keep the more advanced stuff for later.

--
Alain
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.