POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The world is flat! : Re: The world is flat! Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:13:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The world is flat!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Oct 2005 03:34:34
Message: <4360830a@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> schreef in bericht

> In the images I saw, the shadowing squares are between 1/2 and 2/3 of the
ring's radius. With such
> proportions, you have prety whide penumbraes.

According to Larry Niven, in Ringworld, the shadow squares are 1x10^6 by
2.5x10^6 miles big, and orbit the sun at about 12x10^6 miles from the
primary. Now, this last figure seems to be wrong. According to my building
in Moray, they should orbit at about 16x10^6 miles so that day and night
areas are about the same size.

An area light for the sun is needed indeed. I used a glow (for latter
purposes), but I shall experiment further.

Larry Niven is not talking about a penumbra area in his books, as far as I
can tell. Night comes with the sun gradually cut-off by the shadow square.
Which doesn't exclude a penumbra of course.

Thomas