POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The world is flat! : Re: The world is flat! Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The world is flat!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Oct 2005 11:04:57
Message: <435e4999$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht

> According to my calculations, the rim walls would have an angular size of
> about 7 minutes of arc, viewed from the middle of the Ring. With
atmosphere
> and landscape, all but invisible.

That's correct. In "Ringworld", the party is just able to see them because
they are on the (lower) slope of Fist of God, according to the map in
"Ringworld Engineers", about 60 miles above the big ocean.

> I find it mildly annoying that, from its surface, the Ringworld would look
> no more exciting than a flat earth! One would only get a true sense of
> scale and spectacle  from hundreds of miles in the air...

It's an absolutely boring view!  ;-)
However, at night, that would be gorgeous.

> Bill (secretly building a Dyson sphere in his garden shed)

Wow!!!

Thomas